Related Books of Interest
- The Exploration of the Colorado River and Its Canyons, by J. W. Powell (Dover Publications, 1961; first published by Flood & Vincent, 1895)
Unabridged republication of the journals of John Wesley Powell, the Civil War Major who led the first recorded exploration of the Grand Canyon in 1869 and published this many years later.
- A River Running West, The Life of John Wesley Powell, by Donald Worster (Oxford, 2001).
An excellent biography of the leader of the first recorded exploration of the entire length of The Grand Canyon.
- River: One Man's Journey Down the Colorado, Source to Sea, by Colin Fletcher (Knopf, 1997).
A 67-year old man's journey by foot and raft through the entire length of the Colorado River.
- Cadillac Desert: The American West and its Disappearing Water, by Marc Reisner (Penguin, 1986).
Landmark work about Western water issues, including several chapters about Colorado River management through the Grand Canyon.
These are the most popular river guides, available in a waterproof form, and we recommend that participants bring one along on our trips.
- Belknap's Waterproof Grand Canyon River Guide, by Buzz Belknap and Loie Belknap Evans (Westwater Books).
- The Colorado River in Grand Canyon, A Guide, by Larry Stevens (Red Lake Books).